1 shallot, very finely chopped
1.5 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp lemon juice
4 tbsp EVOO
salt and pepper
- Cut about 1.5" off the top of each artichoke, and cut the stem level with the base. Use kitchen scissors to trim the tops of the remaining leaves to remove sharp points and browned edges.
- Rub the cut surfaces with lemon juice to prevent discoloration while cooking.
- Wrap each artichoke in microwaveable plastic, put them on a plate, and microwave for 10 minutes. (The base should be tender when pressed - if not, keep on microwaving at 60 second intervals.)
- Let the artichokes stand for 5 minutes, then prick the plastic to release the steam and unwrap them (very carefully).
- Let the artichokes cool a bit, then use a small spoon to scrape out the choke (the prickly inner leaves).
- Make a simple vinaigrette in a small bowl by stirring together the shallot, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil a bit at a time, until it thickens.
- Fill the center of each artichoke with the vinaigrette, and serve.