6 large onions
1/2 cup of ham, diced
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
3/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
6 tbsp olive oil
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper
- Peel the onions, but be careful not to cut through the bottoms.
- Cook the onions in a large pot of boiling water for about 20 minutes. Drain the onions, and refresh them in cold water.
- Use a sharp paring knife to cut around and scoop out the center section of each onion. You want to remove about half of the inside.
- Lightly salt the inside of the "bowls" you just made, and leave them sitting upside down to finish draining.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a small bowl, beat the ham into the egg. Stir in the breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic, nutmeg, and all but about 3 tbsp of the cheese. Add 3 tbsp of the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Use paper towels to pat the insides of the onions dry. Stuff them with the ham and cheese mixture using a small spoon. Arrange the onions in a single layer in an oiled baking dish (ceramic works best).
- Sprinkle the tops of the onions with the leftover cheese, and then sprinkle with the leftover olive oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes - the onions should be very tender and golden on top.