8 medium leeks
1/2 cup butter
salt and pepper
- Thoroughly wash the leeks, trim them so there's about equal amounts of green and white, then cut diagonally into 1" pieces.
- Put the leeks and most of the butter (reserve a pat or two) in a large saucepan with a lid.
- Add 1/2 cup water, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 5-8 minutes until leeks are tender but not mushy.
- Drain, season to taste with salt and pepper, and melt an extra pat or two of butter over the hot leeks.